Every year millions of Americans turn to chiropractic care for a safe, holistic and effective approach to alleviate back, neck and shoulder pain.
They also turn to a chiropractors care to relieve pain in extremities, fatigue and general poor health. As a professional Chiropractor, we believe in correcting the root of the problem.
We emphasize the importance of a healthy lifestyle and do not perform surgery or prescribe drugs other than natural dietary supplements.
When you come in, we will determine:
- The extent of the injury or injuries
- The number of estimated treatments required to treat your injuries
- If referral to another medical specialist is required
- If special tests are required( i.e. MRI, CT Scan, etc.)
- If you need to take "injury time off" from work (and provide you with a note to present to your employer)
- Whether obtaining legal representation may be in your best interest (and recommend some excellent attorneys)
Our Approach is Hands On as Your Chiropractor
We might be giving you some suggestions on dietary changes as well as some specific spine exercises to do. These exercises will augment your chiropractic therapy between appointments here, at your chiropractic center. Your restoration to optimal health is our goal as your Orlando/Sanford Chiropractor.
Many people are under the misconception that a chiropractic doctor is limited to providing back pain relief or neck pain relief. While chiropractic therapy does include neck pain treatment and back pain treatment it really encompasses treatment of the whole body. A hands-on approach is taken by me through adjustment of the imbalances in your skeletal system, especially your spine. Chiropractic care is a noninvasive discipline that sees the body as a system of parts that work together in balance.
What We Treat
- Neck pain
- Lower Back Pain
- Sport Injuries
- Sciatic Pain
- Shoulder Pain
- Leg Pain
- Radiating Pain
- Carpal Tunnel
- Muscle Tension
- Pediatric Care
Shoulder Pain Management:
A number of factors are known to causeshoulder pain, we provide shoulder manipulation as well as therapy to help relieve pain and restore motion and use.
Neck Pain Relief:
As a chiropractor I understand some peoples hesitation to seek chiropractic help for neck pain. At Achieve Chiropractic we offer several non-twisting methods to address any misalignment of the bones of the neck. Also we use therapies and muscle work to help address many causes of neck pain.
Headaches are usually a symptom of a larger problem or illness. Though aspirin, ibuprofen and similar pain relievers are effective for some headaches, we prefer to treat the cause of the problem, rather than just cover up the symptoms. We can adjust your spine and use activator therapy and stretches to solve whatever problem is causing your headaches.
We see how hard life can be when dealing with sciatica, therefor we work to deal with the primary cause as well as any secondary aggravating factors. Whether it is from a disk bulge, a sacroiliac joint inflammation or piriformis syndrome, we can work on the area to get you better and active again.
What is Functional Endocrinology?
The term and discipline of functional endocrinology refers to something totally different and mutually exclusive to what we have now come to know as conventional medical endocrinology.
First of all, the term "endocrinology" in its classic definition means the study of the endocrine system.
Simply put, a medical doctor who is a specialist in the field of endocrinology, thus an endocrinologist, basically use's drugs or hormones as therapeutic tools to deal with dysfunction or disease of the endocrine system.
As a practical example, let's say you have been diagnosed by your general practitioner with hypothyroidism (low-functioning thyroid). Your general practitioner could decide to treat you, or could elect to refer you to an endocrinologist because the thyroid is an endocrine gland.
The interesting thing is, as a practice and general statement, each doctor (GP and endocrinologist) would likely reach for the same tool: thyroid hormones.
What I am pointing out here... as it pertains to the general standard of care in medicine, a GP and endocrinologist have access to the same basic tools: drugs and procedures irrespective of having specialty training.
So in this example, a determination is made that the thyroid gland, for whatever reason, is not able to produce enough thyroid hormones. So typically speaking, a drug is prescribed. In this case, as I am sure you could guess, you would be given thyroid hormones. So... Here is How It Typically Works.
THYROID DOESN'T PRODUCE ADEQUATE LEVELS OF THYROID HORMONES.
PRESCRIBING DOCTOR PROVIDES THYROID HORMONES
THUS CHEMICALLY GIVING THE BODY WHAT IT LACKS FROM THE OUTSIDE IN.
Here the simple distinction can be made, and thus, a clear definition of Functional Endocrinology.
In functional endocrinology, the doctor identifies that function has been lost and asks a much more important question:
- Why has function been lost?
- And what can we do to restore function?
In other words, the doctor looks to find the ROOT CAUSE or mechanism involved with any loss of function, which ultimately reveals why a set of symptoms is there in the first place, or why the patient has a particular disease label.
(I know, a novel and groundbreaking concept.)
So contrasting with our previous example, the model shifts as follows:
- THYROID DOESN'T PRODUCE ADEQUATE LEVELS OF HORMONES
- DOCTOR DETERMINES THE CAUSE(S) ASSOCIATED WITH THIS LOSS OF FUNCTION
- AND WORKS TO RESTORE PROPER FUNCTION SO THE BODY ONCE AGAIN PRODUCES THYROID HORMONES ADEQUATELY.
So what in the world does a thyroid problem have to do with your diabetes? A lot, actually, but that's not the point. Keep reading more on that later...
The point is the example and distinction made between the drug therapy model that is traditional medicine and a doctor who looks at mechanisms (i.e., contributing causes and thus a doctor who practices within the model of "Functional Endocrinology").
What if you could Reverse Type II diabetes naturally?
What if the medical establishment had it all wrong?
Expensive and side-effect-laden prescription drugs and insulin injections are not the best treatments for treating Type II Diabetes long term.
In fact many if not all of the diabetic medications carry the risk of serious side effects...some causing weight gain and ultimately perpetuating the disease long term. In the end a drug for every disease or symptom is only masking the problem and not treating root causes.
In addition, having high levels of insulin floating around in your body can be very dangerous to your health!
You see more than likely it's not that your body is lacking the hormone insulin. The problem for the majority of Type II Diabetics is that insulin resistance has set in ... this basically means that your body has lost the ability to utilize insulin appropriately.
What sense then does it make to continue to bombard your body with something it no longer recognizes and can no longer process? Especially when that substance (insulin) may be harmful to your health and more than likely will cause your disease to progress.
Did you know that insulin at high levels:
- Can shorten your life expectancy ...
- Can cause you to gain weight at an alarming rate ...
- Can cause more insulin resistance therefore perpetuating your diabetes ...
- Can cause your blood pressure to increase ...
- Can cause cardio-vascular disease ...
- Can increase your risk of developing cancer?
Well, it can do all of the above.
Diabetes is a nasty disease that ruins the lives of millions of people. You can lose a leg ... you can lose an arm ... you can lose your "zeal" for life ... and in serious cases you can even lose your life.
But help is available. My unique, natural approach to treating diabetes is totally different – AND MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE – than what most doctors who are trying to reverse diabetes naturally are currently doing.
You see, where most physicians test for blood sugar levels and A1C levels and not much else, I've designed an integrative testing approach that goes into much more depth. I then use my detailed findings to individually tailor and customize a treatment plan for each patient based on his or her own underlying causative factors.
The results have been life-changing for my patients...
- Imagine how life would be if you no longer had to worry about your blood sugar...
- Imagine how life would be if you no longer needed the drugs...
- Imagine how life would be if you no longer had to inject yourself with insulin...
- Imagine if you had the energy to exercise and lose the diabetic weight...
- Imagine what life would be like without having to get up constantly throughout the night to use the restroom...
- Imagine what life would be like without living in constant fear of the devastating effects of this disease...
- Imagine that once and for all you finally understood why you had diabetes instead of just being told it was genetic and the best you can do is to choke down the drugs and inject yourself with insulin...
FREE Diabetes Report. Visit www.orlandodiabetesreport.com to get your complete 18-page diabetes report entitled:
"DIABETIC IGNORANCE: How Drug Companies, The Food Industry, and Some Doctors SET YOU UP for Failure"
Get your FREE report now - www.orlandodiabetesreport.com
Weight Loss & Nutrition
LOSE ONE-POUND / DAY
I dont know about you, but there are a lot of New Year resolutions made - that are broken by February 1st of every year. Why? Because people for the most part, dont know how to take the extra weight off safely.
That kind of weight loss never works.
Thats why you have this report. I want to help you lose weight the healthy way, without drugs or surgery and we get FAST RESULTS faster than anything you've ever heard about, and at a fraction of the cost of other programs.
This Is A WIN-WIN Program
This fast and safe LOSE A POUND a day program is available for the first time in North America and is used in Europe, as well as in Australia. There is no program like it, as this program was formulated by a Swiss doctor and has never been replicated before now Its so new, you'll probably be just one of the few people that know about it because its a very exclusive weight loss program that he has shared with just a few doctors all over the world.
New Weight Loss Program No One Has Access To
Like I said, this is a brand new technology, so you're in for a real treat. The beauty about this program is that it is customized for your specific needs. If you want to lose 10 pounds or 100 pounds, we have the right program for you. And the good part is: Exercise is purely optional. Its great if you exercise to build more muscle, but you dont have to. No kidding. We have people right now that have lost over 50 pounds without ever doing one push up or going to a gym.
When you come to the office for our weight loss program, well show you a video, and then you decide whether this program is right for you or not. Now lets talk about the current programs out there, such as the different diets, such as the cabbage soup, Atkins, South Beach, Nutri System, Weight Watchers, etc. Theres a reason why they exist, but you are probably one of the 20%s that didnt fit into that mold.
This Program Is For You IF You Want To LOSE Weight
Your Weight Loss program will be customized just for you. Its composed of several things, each in of itself, and designed to help you lose fat quickly, but combined together it makes this program foolproof. Dont forget. This program is customized to your needs.
One thing we will address is your hormone situation. When you were in your 20s, your hormones were sky high, and you could eat pizza and hamburgers on a daily basis and not gain a pound. Your Hormones Are Going In The Dumpster Every Year Research shows that hormones will decrease by 1-3% per year after the age of 30 and will be less then 50% of what you used to have - by the age of 50.
We have a way to help you maintain your muscle and help you lose fat. Remember maintaining muscle tone is crucial in any weight loss program, and most diets FAIL because people lose muscle and they need more muscle to speed up the metabolism so they dont continue gaining weight.
Now if you're talking about weight loss, you've probably never heard about natural hormones when you're talking about losing weight. Most doctors dont ever say anything because they dont know this secret. I have lost 24 pounds in just 21 days. I was skeptical but I have to tell you, based on my results, I would recommend this to anyone whos ever had a problem with getting weight off and keeping it off. Duane Carney, CA "Ive lost 23 pounds, and 4 pant sizes in 43 days and its amazing.
"I love it." Lowell K. Olathe, KS.
In our program we also have a proprietary blend of drops that will help melt the fat away. You wont find these anywhere else and they work like magic. We also have a special item in the weight loss program that will help you hydrate your system. Its something most doctors and weight loss programs never mention or even know anything about, but you'll be given all the information so you can start using this little hidden secret that day if you choose.
And it doesnt matter if all you eat are fruits and vegetables, and you're a vegan, you still end up with lots of toxins in your system. You have toxins in the water, the air you breath and the lotion you put on your skin. They are everywhere. The average American consumes about 80,000 different toxins per year and its unavoidable.
You can minimize this, and well help you do this with our specialized weight loss program. All you have to do is show up, start the program and well start helping you to burn off your fat quickly. You see the body uses fat cells to protect you from the toxins in your body.
Thats why when we get rid of the toxins that have built up in our system, the body lets go of the fat, because we dont need it anymore. You can lose one pound a day so this is a very powerful program when you add in all the other specialized components.
"I lost 43 pounds in 40 days, this is the best thing I have ever done!" Holly Reed, CA
We also give you something that includes all the amino acids, trace minerals, vitamins, and minerals that you need to balance your bodys eco system so it will drop the weight quickly. Also while you are on this program you will follow a food management plan of minimal carbs, non-starchy vegetables and lots of good protein. This reason for this is, its a comprehensive program.
You can lose a pound a day and not have to STARVE YOURSELF.
Now let me make something very clear.
Everyone loses at different rates. For example men lose weight faster than women, younger people lose weight faster than older people, and heavier people seem to lose weight easier than lighter people. But the common factor is that they all lose weight.
If you're tired of the same old excuses, and you're tired of spending money on programs that dont work, and you cant keep the weight off, you definitely want to investigate this weight loss program because there is not another one like it anywhere. Dont forget we want to give you the Results Youve Been Searching for. And there may be additional things that the doctor recommends in your particular situation after they review your paperwork. We are glad you are reading this report, as once you get started, this will be an exciting journey back to your ideal weight. Isnt it exciting to finally be able to lose those EXTRA pounds and do it quickly, easily, and then keep them off without starving yourself?
Physical therapy has become a common practice in the United States, with an overall goal to restore and achieve optimal movement, functionality and to relieve pain. Whether you need relief from chronic pain or rehabilitation after surgery, injury, or illness; Encompass Chiropractic Center, can help so that you may have the ability to live a pain free life.
There are two basic aspects of treating any health condition. The first is to try and get rid of it and the second is to set up conditions so that it doesn't return. Physical Therapy can be used as part of a strategy to get rid of health problems as well as prevent recurrence.
At Encompass Chiropractic Center, we are proud to offer comprehensive, results-driven rehabilitation and performance programs for active individuals of all ages. Whether you are recovering from an injury, looking to prevent one from occurring, or interested in improving your overall mobility, Encompass Chiropractic Center offers you personal and effective care that will help you achieve your goals.
- Can help patients overcome the effects of injuries or illnesses
- Has been found helpful in managing many types of pain
- Has been recognized as increasing the effectiveness of other patient treatments
- Improve Mobility & Motion
- Reduce the Risk of Injury
- Improve Balance and Prevent Falls
The reason individuals choose chiropractic Physical Therapy care for treatment of injuries is simple – This form of therapy care is exceptional in the treatment of soft tissue injuries, especially of the spine. The reason that patients choose Encompass Chiropractic Center is for our combination of acute (new) chiropractic treatment, in addition to the rehabilitation protocol designed by a physical therapist which achieves the desired outcome that most people require. Since the most common injuries associated with motor vehicle accidents are sprains and strains of the spinal muscle and ligaments, it is only natural that chiropractic and physical therapy be the treatments of choice.
Massage is one of the oldest healing arts: Chinese records dating back 3,000 years document its use; the ancient Hindus, Persians and Egyptians applied forms of massage for many ailments; and Hippocrates wrote papers recommending the use of rubbing and friction for joint and circulatory problems.
Today, the benefits of massage are varied and far-reaching. As an accepted part of many physical rehabilitation programs, massage therapy has also proven beneficial for many chronic conditions, including low back pain, arthritis, bursitis, fatigue, high blood pressure, diabetes, immunity suppression, infertility, smoking cessation, depression, and more. And, as many millions will attest, massage also helps relieve the stress and tension of everyday living that can lead to disease and illness.
Will My Insurance Cover It?
The services of a massage professional may be covered by health insurance when prescribed by a chiropractor or osteopath. Therapies provided as part of a prescribed treatment by a physician or registered physical therapist are often covered. We also offer membership payment plans and discount plans.
What Should I Do During the Massage or Bodywork Session?
Prior to the massage, feel free to ask the practitioner any questions about the technique or the upcoming session. During the massage, make yourself comfortable. The practitioner will either gently move you or tell you what is needed throughout the session (such as lifting your arm). Many people just close their eyes and completely relax, communicating if/when they need more or less pressure, another blanket, or anything else relevant to the session. If you have any questions regarding the session or about the particular technique you are receiving, feel free to ask the practitioner.
What Are the Benefits of Massage and Bodywork?
Massage and bodywork can help release chronic muscular tension and pain, improve circulation, increase joint flexibility, reduce mental and physical fatigue and stress, promote faster healing of injured muscular tissue, improve posture, and reduce blood pressure. Massage and bodywork is also known to promote better sleep, improve concentration, reduce anxiety and create an overall sense of well-being.
Are There Any Medical Conditions That Would Make Massage or Bodywork Inadvisable?
Yes. That's why it's imperative that, before you begin your session, there will be an initial consultation and/or exam that will ask general health questions. It is very important that you inform us of any health problems or medications you are taking.
• Soft tissue massage • Swedish • Deep tissue
30 Minute massages – Invest in 12, Get 15% Discount (Pkg =$360)
60 Minute massages – Invest in 12, Get 15% Discount (Pkg =$665)
For your convenience all sessions must be pre scheduled & pre-paid
Cancellations Require a 24 – Hour notice
Or you may be subject to a short notice/missed appointment fee
Orlando Office Massage License # MM27394
Sanford/Lake Mary Massage License # MM22475
Low Level Laser Treatment
At Encompass Chiropractic Centers, we are on the cutting edge of acute and chronic pain management.
We provide technologically advanced procedures and innovative strategies aimed at healing our patients and maintaining their active lifestyles in the most effective ways possible. Cold laser therapy is one of the state-of-the-art treatments we offer to keep our patients feeling their best, while maintaining the level of activity that is right for them.
Cold laser therapy is a cutting edge approach to pain management that alleviates pain and inflammation and restores range of motion, without the use of medication. The procedure combines advanced technology with the body's natural healing process in order to diminish pain and inflammation. Cold laser therapy is quick, painless and effective.
The targeted procedure involves directing a low-intensity beam of laser light directly at the painful area. This stimulates the body's natural immune response to the affected area, which helps to alleviate pain and inflammation at the source, as well as to restore the range of motion that may have been hampered by the prior existence of the pain and inflammation. Research has shown that multiple doses of cold laser therapy typically produce excellent results in those patients suffering from sports-related, acute or chronic conditions.
We are dedicated to providing the most advanced treatment methods available, as well as individualized attention, to each of our patients in order to optimize their quality of life. Our approach focuses on the root cause of each patient's problem and we customize treatment in order to provide the most effective results. Our use of cold laser therapy is one aspect of the holistic approach we offer aimed at helping our patients live more active and pain-free lives. We are experts at the application of cold laser therapy and the precision treatment allows our patients to get back to peak levels of performance as quickly as possible, without the use of medication or invasive procedures.
The doctors at Encompass Chiropractic Center believe that through innovation, a focus on individualized care, and expert knowledge of the most cutting edge treatments available, a successful recovery can be achieved.
Encompass Chiropractic Center offers on sight digital X-ray s to help distinguish the cause for a patients back pain or other conditions. There are times when it is advisable for us to take x-rays to better assess your condition. In these instances, we can take your x-rays and evaluate them on site.
If X-Rays are needed to further evaluate your condition, an experienced staff member will be able to take X-rays in house in a matter of minutes with our state of the art digital imaging X-ray machine.
X-rays are also useful in assessing the appropriateness of chiropractic care as they can help to rule out the existence of more serious pathological processes such as spinal fractures, tumors and infections which require immediate emergency medical intervention. The image detail is crystal clear and the exposure times are reduced massively.
- What is digital X-ray? Digital X-ray is technology that allows X-ray images to be instantly recorded onto a computer screen
- Who would not be x-rayed? Babies, children and pregnant women are strongly advised to avoid x-ray where possible
X-rays are a relatively safe and cost effective way to view the structure and general condition of the spine. They can reveal spinal regions under high stress and expose areas of degenerative change and identify subtle abnormalities of the spine as well as more serious pathologies. This can often provide essential additional information which correlates history and examination findings allowing for a more accurate spinal analysis and a more individualized and effective treatment plan.
Auto/Car Accident Information and Symptoms
Injuries to the neck caused by a rapid movement of the head backward, forward, or side to side, is referred to as "Whiplash." Whether a result of a car accident, sport, or work injury, whiplash or other neck injuries warrant a thorough chiropractic check-up. The biggest danger with these injuries is that the symptoms can take years to develop. Too often people don't seek treatment until more serious complications develop. Even after whiplash victims settle their insurance claims, between 39%-56% report they still suffer with symptoms two years later.
In the past, a typical whiplash injury where no bones were broken, was hard to document. Soft tissue injuries do not show up on x-ray and insurance companies would deny coverage. Literally adding insult to injury, the patient suffering all too real pain was considered to be a fraud, a liar, or at best a hypochondriac. New imaging devices (CAT Scans, Magnetic Imaging, and Ultra-Sound) may now show soft tissue injury and now insurance companies cover most whiplash injuries.
When no bones are broken and the head doesn't strike the windshield, typical symptoms are as follows: 92% complain of neck pain, which typically starts two hours up to two days after the accident. This is often the result of tightened muscles that react to either muscle tears or excessive movement of joints from ligament damage. The muscles tighten in an effort to splint and support the head, limiting the excessive movement.
About 57% of those suffering from whiplash complain of headaches. The pain may be on one side or both, on again off again or constant, in one spot or more generalized. These headaches, like the neck pain, are often the result of tightened, tensed muscles trying to keep the head stable and, like tension headaches, they are often felt behind the eyes.
Shoulder pain often described as pain radiating down the back of the neck into the shoulder blade area, may also be the result of tensed muscles, accounting for 49% of injuries caused by whiplash.
Muscle tears are often described as burning pain, prickling or tingling. More severe disc damage may cause sharp pain with certain movements, with or without radiation into the arms, hand and fingers, which are relieved by holding your hand over your head.
The following lists the most common whiplash symptoms as well as their rate of occurrence. If you experience any of these symptoms, play it safe and get a chiropractic check up.
|Neck pain and/or stiffness||92%|
|Pain between the shoulder blades||42%|
|Low back pain||39%|
|Upper limb paresthesia||30%|
|Sensitivity to noise||29%|
|Upper limb pain||12%|
|Upper limb weakness||6%|
|Ringing in the ears||4%|
|Pain in the jaw or face||4%+|
Mechanics of a whiplash injury
Whiplash is most commonly received from being struck from behind, whether from something as light as a fender bender or from something as powerful as a football tackle. When the head is suddenly jerked back and forth beyond its normal limits, the muscles and ligaments supporting the spine can be over-stretched or torn.
In a rear end collision for example, whiplash can be divided into four basic phases:
During Phase 1 the car is first pushed or accelerated forward within milliseconds. Your car is essentially pushed out from under you and your back loads the seat. High shearing forces develop within the neck and your spinal curves straighten and compress. High pressures develops within the brain and shearing forces on the brain stem.
Upward rise of your neck as your head snaps into full extension over the headrest and collapses it. This acts as a fulcrum and TMJ injury is possible with high compression within the joint and some of the muscles and ligaments are stretched or torn in the neck.
The head begins its forward motion as the torso descends into the seat. Seat back bounce increases your velocity 30-70% greater than that of your car. Slack in the seatbelt shoulder harness begins to tighten. Your neck muscles, in a reflex action, contract to bring the head forward as they are thought to be in extension (phase 2), in an attempt to prevent excessive injury. But, because the head is already traveling in a forward direction as the car decelerates, there is an overcompensation.
This violently rocks the head forward, overstretching more muscles and ligaments in the back of the neck. Full deceleration of the head, neck and torso is aggravated by the shoulder harness. High tension and shear forces in the spine can cause the soft pulpy discs between the vertebrae to bulge, tear, or rupture. Vertebrae can be forced out of their normal position, reducing range of motion (Vertebral Subluxation.) The brain stem, spinal cord and nerve roots get stretched, irritated, and choked. If the victim is not properly restrained the occupant's head may strike the steering wheel or windshield, causing a concussion.
The resulting instability of the spine and soft tissues are noteworthy and depend on several factors.
- Rear direction impact.
- Limited range of motion; neurological symptoms after the crash.
- Ligamentous instability after the accident.
- Degenerative disease, headaches or neck injury or pain prior to the crash.
- Vehicle size. When both are equal, even an 8 mph collision produces two times the force of gravity or a 2-G acceleration of the car, and a 5-G acceleration of the head. This magnification of the force gives rise to the name, Whiplash.
- Headrest position. This can make an injury much worse if too low, and even at the right height, it must be close enough to catch the head in time (about 2 inches). A seat that is reclined too far will increase this distance, as will poor posture and driving habits if leaning forward. Some older vehicles (trucks, vans) do not have head restraints, adding insult to injury.
- The position of the head at impact. When turned to the side, for instance, it can only move about half as far as a straightforward position. Hence, all the G forces are localized to one side of the spine, substantially increasing the severity of injuries.
- Age plays an important role because as the body becomes older, ligaments become less pliable, muscles weaker and less flexible, and decreases in range of motion.
- Women and children seem to be injured more seriously than men. This is most notable due to the fact that they tend to have smaller necks. They may also be too close to the steering wheel, airbag and/or have improper fitting shoulder harnesses.
- Pre-existing health problems such as arthritis, lend to the severity of the injuries.
- The use of the seatbelt and shoulder harness.
- Non-awareness of the impact.
- Non-failure of the seatback.
- Low Speed Rear Impact Crashes don't cause injuries.
- Injuries heal in 6-12 weeks.
- Litigation has an effect on the patient's recovery.
- The patient's pre-injury psychological makeup affects recovery.
- Greater vehicle damage=greater occupant injury.
- Accident reconstructionists can predict injury potential.
- In a series of recent human volunteer crash tests of low speed rear impact collisions, it was reported that the threshold for cervical spine soft tissue injury was 5 mph.
- Most injuries occur at speeds below 12 mph.
- The peak acceleration of the head is greater than the peak acceleration of the vehicle.
- A 5 mph delta V crash typically produces about 10-12 g of acceleration of the occupant's head.
- Other reports have shown that crashed cars can often withstand collision speeds of 10 mph or more without sustaining damage.
- Recent epidemiological studies have shown that most injury rear impact accidents occur at crash speeds of 6 mph to 12 mph--the majority at speeds below the threshold for property damage to the vehicle.
- A number of risk factors in rear impact auto accident injury have now been verified including: rear (vs. other vector) impact, loss of cervical lordotic curve, preexisting degenerative changes, the use of seat belts and shoulder harness, poor head restraint geometry, non-awareness of the impending collision, female gender, and head rotation at impact.
- The notion of litigation neurosis has been rather definitively dispelled.
- Once thought to suggest minimal injury, a delay in onset of symptoms has been shown to be the norm, rather than the exception.
- Mild traumatic brain injury can result from whiplash trauma. Often the symptoms are referred as the post concussion syndrome. This condition, often maligned in the past, has now been well-validated in recent medical literature.
- A recent outcome study of whiplash patients reported in the European Spine Journal found that between one and two years post injury, 22% of patients' conditions deteriorated. This second wave of symptoms has been observed by others as well.
- Radanov et al. followed whiplash patients through time and reported that 45% remained symptomatic at 12 weeks, and 25% were symptomatic at 6 months. Other researchers have reported time to recovery in the most minor of cases at 8 weeks; time to stabilization in the more severe cases at 17 weeks; and time to plateau in the most severe categories as 20.5 weeks. Thus, the notion that whiplash injuries heal in 6-12 weeks is challenged. (Incidentally, there never has been any real support for this common myth.)
- Each year, 1.99 million Americans are injured in whiplash accidents.
- Of the 31 important whiplash outcome studies published since 1956 (19 published since 1990 pooling patients from all vectors of collision (I. e., rear, frontal, and side impacts), a mean of 40% still symptomatic is found. For rear impact only, a mean of 59% remain symptomatic at long-term follow-up.
- Although estimates vary, about 10% of all whiplash victims becomes disabled.
- The Quebec Task Force on Whiplash-Associated Disorders has been criticized on the basis of potential bias, study design, the use of ambiguous and misleading terminology, and for developing conclusions that are not supported by the literature.
- The chiropractic profession has developed its own guidelines for management of whiplash patients.
Chiropractic treatment is one of the only proven effective forms of care in the treatment of chronic whiplash related injuries. Through the use of carefully controlled pressures directed at the spine and various physical therapy modalities, combined with that of exercise and nutrition, whiplash sufferers have a better outcome. This is also known as chiropractic rehabilitation, and is the unique domain of the chiropractic physician. Studies have demonstrated that without proper movement within the fixated spinal joints, osteoarthritis of the spine and nerve root complications may be accelerated.
Whiplash associated disorders do not exclude children. In fact, children involved in automobile accidents are often neglected in these types of injuries when in actuality, they suffer from the same symptoms and are at a greater risk for damages. Adding fuel to the fire, a number of insurance companies object to paying for the care of children when the literature shows that they are at two-thirds the risk of adults.